I had started to build the desk and cabinet in my work area. The desk is in with all edges trimmed, fits perfectly in the slide-out, which means the slide-out is perfectly rectangular with 90 degree corners. This is something I cannot always expect when I build it. I am not a cabinet maker and it shows at times (smile).
Before I can finish the cabinets under the work desk I have to finish the floor inside the slide-out because the side panels of the cabinets sit directly on the floor. I do not make a separate floor inside the cabinets for weight reasons, but more importantly I have only one panel with the laminate of the desk and the one alu panel I have left is going to be used in the bath room and a few other little bits.
Before I can put the floor in I had to lay down the floor heating, which I did today. The first layer is a special insulation with a heat spreading foil as the top cover. It is fairly thick and has a high R value.
I use the thick underlay only in those areas covered by the heating film. In the slide-out I only heat the middle section where I sit and not under the cabinets to both sides. The last layer on top of the film is a water proof membrane. In the above image the white cover is the water barrier.
The connections to the film are insulated with a special non conducting masking tape. It is fairly thick and it moulds around the connection and creates a completely water proof cover around the contact.
On both sides of the film I use the cheap thinner underlay, which is most commonly used under laminated floors in the building industry. It is fairly thin and I need 4 layers to build up to the same thickness of the heating insulation. In this fairly small area I do not need to fix the layers to the floor. The floor covering can go straight onto it because I use a laminated board for this section. All other areas will be done with vinyl for weight reasons. Laminate boards are much heavier but under my work desk I wanted a nice and “warm” finish.
The laminated floor boards sit right on top the the membrane. The electrical connection is going to be routed inside the cabinet and will go through the slide-out wall into the bedroom wardrobe with all the other connections to the slide-out.
The thermostat sits inside the bedroom wardrobe.
Power, load and temperature sensor connections are made and the thermostat is covered inside a mounting box. The main power connection is done through a plug which allows me to do tests safely for now. I need to experiment where to put the temperature sensor for the best operation before I finalise all the cabling.
The touch screen of the thermostat is mounted on the sidewall of the work area adjacent to the bedroom wardrobe. All the cables run inside the wardrobe in a cable channel.
After completion of the connections I powered it up and let it run for a few minutes. Then I took some pictures with the thermal camera hooked up to my phone.
The image below shows the corner of the film with the ambient temperature at the time.
The next two images show the temperature of the floor surface above the heating film. The second image shows the heating elements nicely and the heat spread through the insulation foil.
I do not have any performance data yet, like heat up times, power consumption etc. I will do some tests later when I have a larger section connected.