Making further progress still in baby steps though. Have finished the doors of the one high cabinet.
As the above images show we have changed our decision regarding door handles. The push open locks have the disadvantage that the doors actually do not close unless one pushes them into the lock. Since we intend to stay longer in one place we wanted the doors unlocked for convenience and decided on self, soft closing mechanisms. This requires a handle on the doors to open, but we did not want the typical push in/out knob locks. They are not solid enough for the kitchen. We use them in the bedroom cabinets under the bed, but they will not be used as often as the kitchen doors and the bedroom wardrobe doors have push open mechanisms. The handles we have used are not very prominent and blend in well. We wanted a “modern, clean” look for the kitchen. These handles are the next best thing for me to no handles.
I have also tested a linear actuator to open the doors and also the desktop door for the bin access, but it is a real overkill to install a $50 actuator just to open a door, fancy and unique but a bit over the top I think.
I also installed the handles on the corner doors and also the pull out pantries, however I might still put an actuator at least on the pantry doors since pulling the out requires a slight force to overcome the self closing mechanism.
I also had completed the cover of the cook top as one can see in the images above. The bench top is not yet fixed.
Next step was to install the seal of the bench top against the wall. It is common practise to use a bead of silicone to seal a gap between the bench top and the wall. The silicone attracts mould and dirt and especially when one has an uneven gap it will not give a neat finish, especially if one uses a clear sealer and only wanted a reasonably small bead. I ended up with a bit of a gap in some spots and required a wider seal and also liked the way most of our kitchen were done back in Germany. My daughter brought back a few lengths from here recent trip to Germany And England.
It is a piece of trim made from two pieces connected with a tong and groove. One side is being screwed to the bench top and the other piece is pressed into the bottom piece. The bottom piece has two clear seals at the bottom and the top.
Above a picture of the mounted trim, but pushed in a bit too far on the right. The greenish lip is not meant to be visible.
Below one can see the bottom piece with the groove. This piece is screwed to the bench top.
Below the top piece can be seen from the underside. The tong is pressed into the groove and will hold the trim in place. It can be removed easily if one needs to clean underneath, which is normally not necessary, however possible.
Below the two pieces are shown together in the correct mounting position.
The trim system also comes with corner pieces, because no matter how accurate one mitre cuts the corners, it will still be not really sealed and it will not look as finished as with a proper corner piece.
The corner pieces come with a foot, which is screwed to the bench top and the corner piece is simply pressed onto it for a tight fit.
Below one can see the trim in position. It is not yet fixed. One can see the clear seal at the bottom and top end of the trim.
The image below shows a corner piece in place. Again the trim is not yet fixed to the bench top.
The image below shows the end piece of the trim on the left. The other side has a right end cover. Also here the trim is not yet fixed to the bench top. I did cut the pieces and everything is ready for installation once I have finally fixed the bench top. In the image above one can see a part of the window frame with missing paint. This is under the clamp frame which is not installed yet for this window. I had to spray paint it because I had a few spots where the powder coat was chipped off and there were a few marks from production prominent on the face of the clamp frame.